Vegan Younique Products – the facts you need

You know me, I’m more about product reviews than Public Service Announcements.  However, there’s a lot of myth and conjecture surrounding Younique’s products and their suitability for vegetarians and vegans. Hopefully, I’m going to help clear up any confusion and set the story straight.

I’ve seen the company get a little bad press at times when people assume a naturally based company, by association, to also be a vegan company.  The two are very different, yet complementary things… I’ll try to explain as simply as I can.

Younique don’t and haven’t ever claimed to be a Vegan company, rather a “Naturally Based” company. That means that the N.I.R.C. (National Ingredient Resource Centre in the States) have endorsed their products as being naturally based. To fulfill that strict criteria, a minimum 95% of the ingredients in their products must come from natural ingredients and sources. The remaining 5% don’t have to be natural but still must not contain any synthetic fragrances, colours or any fillers that they would consider harmful.

However, in much the same way that Younique have been sensitive in creating an extensive Gluten Free range of products, they have also named several products in the range as Vegan. For the avoidance of doubt – NOT every product in the Younique range is Vegan as many incorrectly assume, but the ones which ARE, appear listed here (with ingredients for reference):-

Moodstruck Concealers
Ingredients: Mica, Isoamyl Cocoate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de Carnauba, Magnesium Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentaisostearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Mango Juice Extract, Hydrolyzed Annona Cherimola Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Garcinia Mangostana Fruit Extract, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491)MAY CONTAIN (+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77492, 77499), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)

Moodstruck Blushers
Ingredients: Mica, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Stearate, Squalane, Silica, Nylon-12, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Magnesium Myristate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Methicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77941), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cire de Carnauba) May Contain (+/-): Red 6 (CI15850), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)

Refreshed Rose Water
Ingredients:-Water, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyetanol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Betaine, Maltooligosyl Glucoside, Hydrongenated Starch Hydrolysate, Citrus Aurantium Amara Flower Distillate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Rose Extract, Glycerin, Beta-Glucan, Sodium Carboxymethyl Betaglucan, Sodium Hyaluronate, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Imidazolidinyl Urea

BB Flawless Complexion Enhancer
Ingredients: Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isohexadecane, Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Boron Nitride, Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Betaine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Decylene Glycol, Lecithin, 1,2-Hexanediol. MAY CONTAIN: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499)

Of course it would be great to see more Vegan products added to the range, and I am sure that in time they will be.  But in the meantime, I just wanted to clear up the apparent confusion relating to some of the terms used in relation to the company and it’s products so that buyers can make informed decisions based on fact rather than rumour.

But of course, if you need any further information on the products, ingredients and suitability for Vegans, Gluten Free use etc, do let me know I’d be only too happy to help

RHB x

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Vegan Younique Products – the facts you need

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s